Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Hanging on His Every Word

So many people I know, including myself, sing this song when we are going through...

“Why should I feel discouraged?
Why should the shadows come?
Why does my heart feel lonely
And long for my heavenly home?
For Jesus is my portion.
A constant friend is He.
His eye is on the sparrow
And I know He watches over me...”

The song writer is asking questions that many of us ask ourselves daily. But first let us ask, "Why are you cast down, O my soul? And why are you disquieted within me?” Like the psalmist in Psalms 42, discouragement, despair, overwhelming trials, brokenness, self-pity and loneliness are all signs of a misplaced vision. You say, “Well, what do you mean? I know where I need to be going but these trials keep bothering me. The enemy keeps attacking me. I pay a bill and 3 more creditors call! So what am I supposed to do? The Bible tells me to look up unto the hills from whence cometh my help. I’ve been looking up so long that my neck is cramped and my back is aching! So tell me what do you mean?” The answer is simple, focus on Him. When we have disconnected the phone, shut out all background noise and turned our attention to Jesus, to the Bishop of our souls, the storms subside. When Peter stepped out of the boat, He was originally walking on the Word of the Lord, who said, “Come.” And Peter was the only disciple to walk on water because he depended on Jesus’ Word and not any external circumstances. He did not walk on water because the other disciples were in the boat cheering him on. And he did not walk on water because he had strong legs and was an expert fisherman. No! It had nothing to do with the flesh, what he was, or who was around him, but Whose Word he focused on.

Therefore, when we focus on Jesus, the Author and Finisher of our faith, we find the antidote for all these depressive and oppressive spirits that enter our lives. If I trust the flesh, I’m discouraged. If I trust Jesus, I’m encouraged. If I trust the flesh, I’m in despair. If I trust Jesus, I have hope. If I trust the flesh, I am overwhelmed. If I trust Jesus, my cares are cast upon Him and His yoke is easy and His burden is light. If I trust the flesh, I am wounded and broken. If I trust Jesus, I am healed and whole. If I trust the flesh, I feel sorry for myself. If I trust Jesus, I know that I am more than a conqueror because He loves me. If I trust the flesh and look around, I am lonely. If I trust His Word, He says, “Lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world.”

Like the song says, Jesus is our portion. Whatever that word is that the Lord spoke to you while you were reading His Word, whatever that dream or that vision is, whatever God has for you to do, focus on that. And Jesus will take care of the rest of your problems while He gives you beauty for ashes and the garment of praise instead of that old, outdated, raggedy garment of heaviness!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

BlogCatalog